When upgrading vRealize Automation the appliance upgrade may fail due with Error 256. This failure occurs as part of a safeguard designed to halt the upgrade before problems occur due to a detected inconsistent state in the environment.
/var/log/bootstrap/*.log: =========== 2020-04-26 11:19:20+00:00 /etc/bootstrap/preupdate.d/00-00-00-wizard-completed starting... Update failed. Installation wizard has not been completed successfully. Please retry all failed wizard steps before attempting an upgrade. Script /etc/bootstrap/preupdate.d/00-00-00-wizard-completed failed, error status 1 ===========
To resolve this issue follow below steps:
Note: Ensure you have snapshots/ backups prior to running any of these steps
- Log into vRealize Automation console via SSH.
- Edit the /etc/vcac/vami.ini file.
- Change the start_wizard parameter to true
- Log into the vRealize Automation VAMI at https://FQDN:5480.
- When the wizard comes up, you should be able to find the status that shows the installation failures.
- You will want to resolve these issues where possible or confirm that they are no longer applicable to your deployed environment.
Clear all values from the installation_wizard_params table in the Postgres database
- Log into the vRealize Automation console via SSH.
- Run the following commands:
delete from installation_wizard_params;
Once the table has been cleared, retry the upgrade.