VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF) is VMware’s unified SDDC platform for the hybrid cloud and it’s based on VMware’s compute, storage, and network virtualization technologies to deliver a native integrated software stack that can be used on-premises for private cloud deployment or run as a service from the public cloud with consistent and simple operations.
The core components of VMware Cloud Foundation are VMware vSphere (for the compute part), vSAN (for the storage part), and NSX DataCenter (in version -v or -T, for the network and security part).
It’s more than a simple products bundle, because it gives a full validate stack with a fast provisioning, but also a better lifecycle management.
VMware Cloud Foundation comes also with VMware SDDC Manager that automates the entire system life cycle and simplifies software operations for the entire stack. SDDC Manager can automate the deployment, configuration, and ongoing lifecycle of a complete SDDC, including the complex tasks of update and upgrade.
And it’s not limited only to the main three product, but includes several other VMware’s products.
The Cloud Foundation 3.9.1 release continues to expand on the SDDC automation, VMware SDDC stack, and the partner ecosystem.
The VMware Cloud Foundation 3.9.1 release includes the following:
- Application Virtual Networks (AVNs): Enable vRealize Suite deployment in NSX overlay networks. AVNs provide benefits for portability and failover for planned migration or disaster recovery. New installations of Cloud Foundation 3.9.1 use AVNs for vRealize Suite components. If you upgrade to Cloud Foundation 3.9.1, vRealize Suite components get deployed on a VLAN-backed Distributed Port Group by default. To enable AVNs and migrate vRealize Suite components to these networks for an upgraded system, contact VMware Support.For more information about AVNs, see http://blogs.vmware.com/cloud-foundation/2020/01/14/application-virtual-networks-with-VCF.
- API support for multiple physical NICs and multiple distributed Switches: The API now supports multiple combinations of vSphere Distributed Switches (vDS) and N-VDS switches using up to six physical NICs, providing more flexibility to support high performance use cases and physical traffic separation.
- Cloud Builder improvements: The Cloud Builder UI includes several workflow improvements and provides access to a deployment report that details the tasks performed during bring-up.
- Developer Center: Enables you to access Cloud Foundation APIs and code samples from the SDDC Manager Dashboard.
- BOM Updates for the 3.9.1 Release: Updated Bill of Materials with new product versions.
The Cloud Foundation software product is comprised of the following software Bill-of-Materials (BOM). The components in the BOM are interoperable and compatible.
|Software Component||Version||Date||Build Number|
|Cloud Builder VM||126.96.36.199||14 JAN 2020||15345960|
|SDDC Manager||3.9.1||14 JAN 2020||15345960|
|VMware vCenter Server Appliance||6.7 Update3b||05 DEC 2019||15132721|
|VMware ESXi||6.7 Update 3b||05 DEC 2019||15160138|
|VMware vSAN||6.7 Update 3b||05 DEC 2019||14840357|
|VMware NSX Data Center for vSphere||6.4.6||10 OCT 2019||14819921|
|VMware NSX-T Data Center||2.5||19 SEP 2019||14663974|
|VMware Enterprise PKS||1.5||20 AUG 2019||14878150|
|VMware vRealize Suite Lifecycle Manager||2.1 Patch 2||02 JUL 2019||14062628|
|VMware vRealize Log Insight||4.8||11 APR 2019||13036238|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for NSX for vSphere||3.9||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for Linux||2.0.1||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Automation 7.5+||1.0||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log Insight Content Pack for vRealize Orchestrator 7.0.1+||2.1||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Log insight Content Pack for NSX-T||3.8.2||n/a||n/a|
|vSAN Content Pack for Log Insight||2.2||n/a||n/a|
|vRealize Operations Manager||7.5||11 APR 2019||13165949|
|vRealize Automation||7.6||11 APR 2019||13027280|
|VMware Horizon 7||7.10.0||17 SEP 2019||14584133|
NOTE: You can install Cloud Foundation 3.9.1 as a new release or upgrade from VMware Cloud Foundation 3.9.
In addition to the release notes, see the VMware Cloud Foundation Upgrade Guide for information about the upgrade process.